- 1 Best Cat Litter for Odor Control Reviews (Updated List)
- 2 Cat Litter for Odor Control Buying Guide
- 3 How to Control Litter Box Odor?
- 4 Conclusion
Cats are clean animals by nature and they do not stink as they clean themselves regularly. The odor that makes a house where a cat lives distinguishable from the others is the distinct smell of the litter box rather than the cat itself. If you have a sensitive nose, you may find it really difficult to stand the smell of the litter box. Even if you do not mind it, it might be very repulsive for your guests.
Thankfully, there are many cat litters for odor control on the market. However, all of them do not eliminate urine and feces odors as effectively as they promise. I have gone through many brands and have come up with the 5 best cat litters for odor control. After reading my cat litter for odor control reviews, you may also want to have a look at my guide on how to eliminate cat litter odors. Enjoy!
Fresh Step Odor Shield Scented Litter
|VIEW ON AMAZON!|
World’s Best Cat Litter
|VIEW ON AMAZON!|
Ever Clean Extreme Clump Scented Cat Litter
|VIEW ON AMAZON!|
Purina Tidy Cats Instant Action Clumping Cat Litter
|VIEW ON AMAZON!|
Arm & Hammer Platinum Double Duty Cat Litter
|VIEW ON AMAZON!|
Best Cat Litter for Odor Control Reviews (Updated List)
1 Fresh Step Odor Shield Scented Litter
Fresh Step Odor Shield Scented Litter has been formulated specifically for smelliest cat litter boxes. It contains activated charcoal to trap and destroy all cat litter odors. The carbon inside inhibits bacterial odor for up to 10 days. Plus, it contains a paw-activated fragrance, the Febreeze Freshness, which is released every time your cat uses the litter box.
Fresh Step Odor Shield Scented Litter also features ClumpLock technology which immediately absorbs all liquids and forms tight clumps and meanwhile traps odors. This makes cleaning up the litter box extremely easy and there are no stinky crumble leftovers. In addition to odor control and tight clumping technologies, this cat litter also has a low dust formula for less trailing and clearer surfaces. However, some of the users have complained that it actually is a bit dustier than they expected. Therefore, I recommend this one if odor control is your priority but you would not mind a little bit of dust.
- Ammonia block technology for odor control.
- 10-day odor control guarantee.
- Paw activated fragrance.
- ClumpLock Technology.
- Low dust formula.
2 World’s Best Cat Litter
World’s Best Cat Litter has a formula that contains the concentrated power of corn with an added all-natural plant ingredient for outstanding odor control. Tight and fast clumping effectively traps all unwanted odors. Plus, you can easily scoop up and flush the clumped clay thanks to its septic-safe formula. It is available in three sizes like 7, 14 and 28-pound bags and is ideal for litter boxes for multiple cats.
One thing I would like to point out is that you must keep this litter in a sealed bag and in a cool place because of its corn-based formula. Otherwise, you may need to deal with grain mites. It is the most common complaint about this product. On the other hand, corn is a completely natural ingredient and has no threat to your cat’s health. Last but not least, World’s Best Cat Litter is 99% dust-free and trailing is minimal with it.
- All-natural plant ingredients for odor control.
- Tight and fast clumping.
- Corn-based formula.
- 99% dust-free.
- Ideal for multiple cats.
3 Ever Clean Extreme Clump Scented Cat Litter
Ever Clean Extreme Clump Scented Cat Litter is a very strong clumping cat litter that traps bad odors inside via its activated carbon inside the litter granules. Furthermore, again for odor control, it contains an antimicrobial agent to inhibit the growth of bacteria on the litter which causes it to stink. The litter itself is scented but the smell is not overpowering, it is rather fresh, soft and pleasant. Plus, the scent of the litter is only released when it comes in contact with moisture. Furthermore, there are paw-activated plant extracts in the formula which also help in eliminating bad odors.
Premium clump technology prevents this cat litter from getting sludgy and sticking to the bottom of the litter box and makes it easy to scoop up. People who have used this cat litter have complained about its packaging and as a user, I can say that I agree; they could improve the packaging.
- Activated carbon technology for odor control.
- Paw activated, fresh scent.
- Premium clump technology.
- Freshness lasting up to 10 days.
4 Purina Tidy Cats Instant Action Clumping Cat Litter
Purina Tidy Cats Instant Action Clumping Cat Litter is made of natural clay products and features a deodorizing system. It keeps away ammonia, urine and feces odors by trapping them from the very beginning. Its odor-neutralizing power promises a fresh-smelling litter box. The litter itself is odorless. Moreover, the TidyLock protection formula enables quick clumping and locks away all the bad odors. Plus, this formula makes Tidy Cats Instant Action scoopable and therefore, easy to clean. Furthermore, this cat litter is 99.9% dust-free. Say goodbye to dust clouds and trailing…
It is available in pails, boxes, and jugs but I strongly recommend jugs because they are very easy to pour and store. One thing to be aware of is that Purina Tidy Cats Instant Action Clumping Cat Litter is much heavier than the lightweight version but is not as dusty and it is strong enough for multiple cats.
- Made of natural clay products.
- Odor neutralizing power.
- TidyLock protection for clumping and odor control.
- 99.9% dust-free.
- Strong enough for multiple cats.
5 Arm & Hammer Platinum Double Duty Cat Litter
Arm & Hammer Platinum Double Duty Cat Litter destroys urine and feces odors on contact. It is a very powerful formula with odor neutralizers, moisture-activated micro-granules, and baking soda crystals. This platinum formula contains 20% more odor eliminators than the brand’s regular formula. It is 99% dust free and is ideal for homes with multiple cats. Moreover, it is a clumping cat litter for easy scooping but some users have complained that it does not clump as well as some other cat litters. It is a perfumed cat litter and its scent is a bit strong. Even though it is a fragrance pleasing to the nose if you do not like artificial odors, you may want to go with something odorless.
- Moisture activated odor neutralizers.
- Clumping formula.
- 99% dust-free.
- Suitable for multiple cats.
Cat Litter for Odor Control Buying Guide
If your priority when purchasing cat litter is odor control, you might find the following tips helpful when choosing the best odor eliminating cat litter;
The cat litters which are the most effective at preventing bad odors are known to be clumping. As they form clumps, they imprison all unpleasant scents inside. Therefore, choose a cat litter that is made of materials that clump. It can be clay, silica gel or other natural materials such as pine or corn. As long as it forms strong clumps all these materials are good for odor control. However, each has its other benefits or drawbacks like being eco-friendly or causing less trailing. Depending on what is most important to you after odor control, you can make a choice.
2. Clumping Speed
Some cat litters immediately start clumping when in contact with moisture while others take longer to form clumps. Try to choose a litter that clumps quickly. The quicker the better because if it takes longer for the litter to clump it means that the ammonia scent will have a longer time to diffuse into the air and dominate the environment. The trick is not to give the unpleasant smell this opportunity.
3. Clumping Strength
It is crucially important that the clumps formed by the litter are strong enough to hold together during your litter box clean up. Since it is the clumps that imprison bad odors, taking them out of the litter box means taking out the foul smells and throwing them away as well. Clumps that crumble leave behind traces of unpleasant odors and since the crumbs will be too small for you to pick up, they will stay in the litter box for long periods and will smell worse day after day.
Some cat litter formulas have ingredients that help to neutralize odors. Activated carbon or simply charcoal is used for absorbing litter box odors as it is one of the most effective materials known to neutralize ammonia smell. Baking soda is another strong neutralizer. Furthermore, one of the main reasons for smelly litter is bacteria growth. You can choose a cat litter that contains antimicrobial agents to inhibit the growth of bacteria, as an extra measure.
5. Scented vs. Unscented
Is scented cat litter better than unscented cat litter at odor control? Actually, there is no research proving this to be true. There are unscented cat litters great at trapping foul smells of urine and feces whereas there are on the other hand some scented cat litters which are complete failures at it. Some people defend that scented cat litters are bad for your cat’s health since they have artificial scent agents in their formula which help cover or absorb litter box smells.
However, at the end of the day, the choice is down to your personal taste. Some cat litters have paw-activated scents and their scent is only released when your cat is actually using the litter box, which in my opinion is a very good feature. It prevents the scent of the litter from becoming too overpowering. It might be a good idea to avoid anything with a very strong scent because some cats specifically avoid scented litter since they do not like the artificial smell. Do not forget that cats have a much keener sense of smell than we do and odors that do not bother you might be too much for them.
How to Control Litter Box Odor?
1. Scoop out your litter box at least once a day. As long as urine and feces stay in the litter box, they keep releasing foul smells and producing bacteria. The longer they stay, the more their smell will invade your house. Therefore, scoop them out daily.
2. Replace the whole litter at least once a month. Even if you scoop out your litter box daily, you are bound to miss some. The pieces left behind will build up week after week and will start smelling worse each day. Replacing the whole litter will help you get rid of them all.
3. Each time that you replace the litter, scrub and wash the litter box thoroughly with soap. Try to avoid any cleaning agents with ammonia in their formula because ammonia may worsen the case. After washing it dry it completely and refill afterward.
4. Buy a new litter box yearly. Your cat’s claws and the tip of your scoop may scratch the surface of your litter box tray and it may be very difficult to clean and completely sterilize this scratched surface. As litter particles mixed with urine and feces get into these scratches and stay there, they smell and bacteria are produced. You may donate your used litter box to an animal shelter and treat your cat with a fresh one once a year to avoid this.
5. Place your litter box in a well-ventilated room. Some people prefer placing litter boxes in bathrooms. It is okay as long as your bathroom is spacious and has a window to let in some fresh air. Otherwise, it is a very bad idea because the smell of the cat litter will only get more concentrated in confined spaces.
6. Try using an air freshener. They are usually not very expensive and come with different refill bottles so that you can choose from a variety of scents. Place the air freshener in the same room with the litter box but not too close to it. If the fragrance of the freshener gets too overpowering, then your cat might be deterred from using the box. As an alternative, you can use an air purifier if you are willing to invest some more money.
7. Cat litter deodorizers also come handy in getting rid of foul smells. They usually come in the form of either powder or spray and can be applied to any litter for odor elimination.
8. Choose your cat’s food wisely. Cheap cat food also causes your cat’s poop to smell hideous. Higher-quality cat food is mostly easier to digest and does not result in too stinky poop.
9. Use cat litter for odor control. Whether scented or unscented, make sure that the cat litter you are using has a smell eliminating formula.
10. Fill the litter box with enough amount of cat litter which is ⅔ of it at a minimum. Odor eliminating litters cannot work unless there is enough litter in the box because they need to capture and lock in all the moisture before it gets and sticks to the bottom of the tray.
Remember that using a self-cleaning/automatic litter box is another effective way of controlling litter box odors!
None of us would like our houses to smell like cat pee and poop. Thus, in my opinion, a cat litter with a smell eliminating formula is a must. With the right cat litter and regular cleaning of your cat’s litter box, I believe that it is possible to wipe out these smells for good. I hope that my reviews on the best cat litters for odor control will be of help to you in choosing the best cat litter both for you and your cat. If you also consider the tips I’ve given you in my buying guide, I bet your house will be smelling all fresh and good very soon!